I followed the tutorial in French and pattern at Cré enfantin except for the head which I drew myself because I wanted to make it large enough so that a child could use it as a bed pillow.
- 2 colour fabrics on white and black
- felt scraps in black
- Heat n Bond for the eyes, nose and inside of ears
- thick cotton thread for the mouth
The width of the pillow is 17 inches. The size of the head in the original pattern though is proportional to the body. You need to increase the panda head on the pattern to a width of 17 inches or draw one by hand instead like me.
- 4 arm pieces, cut 2 out of each colour (patte superieure) – cut 2 to with the curve facing right and 2 with the curve facing left
- 4 leg pieces, cut 2 out of each colour (patte inferieure) – cut 2 to with the curve facing right and 2 with the curve facing left
- 2 black felt ovals for the centre of the eye
- 2 white/cream pieces
- 2 black pieces
- 2 pieces for the head, white/cream for the front, black for the back
- 4 ear pieces in black
- 2 ear pieces in white/cream for the inside
- 2 pieces in black, one for the back and one for the torax (corps and poitrail)
- 1 white/cream piece for the abdomen (corps)
Tail and nose
- 1 round white piece (queue)
- 1 black triangle for the nose
All seam allowances are 1/4 inch.
Cut all the applique pieces and iron on the panda’s face and ears.
Stitch pieces in place using cream/white thread.
Stitch around the mouth with thick black cotton.
Stitch panda’s ears right sides together and turn inside out.
Place back and front of head right sides together and pin the ears in place with the ear touching the right sides of the head. Pin sides of head and stitch around leaving a 4 inch opening at the neck level.
Turn head inside out and fill with polyfill.
Assemble the body as per final photo.
Arms are very tiny and quite difficult to turn inside out.
Fill body and attach to head as per photo.