This block is fun to make.
I used jelly roll strips for these so to speed up the process.
Check out the end of the tutorial for layout suggestions and fabric recommendations below.
Five patch chain block cutting directions
- 1 strip, 2 1/2″ x 21″ in aqua
- 1 strip, 2 1/2″ x 21″ in navy
- 1 square, 2 1/2″ x 2 1/2″ in navy
- 4 strips, 2 1/2″ x 4 1/2″ in pink
Finished block size
10″ x 10″
I used jelly rolls strips for this block and I think this Tula Pink would suit this block perfectly.
Or this other Fossil Fern Brights Pinwheel jelly roll.
My book Turnabout Patchwork
“Turnabout Patchwork. Simple quilts with a twist” is all about playing with blocks – making a block, slicing it up, and turning or repositioning the pieces to make a completely different block (sometimes two smaller blocks) to yield endless quilt tops.
- Order Turnabout Patchwork on Amazon
- Order Turnabout Patchwork directly from Martingale (e-book only)
See all the quilts in the book in a real life project
Do you wish to receive my tutorials in your inbox?
- Look for the FOLLOW button in my blog
- Subscribe to my Youtube channel
Share your work!
If you make any of my tutorials this is how you can share your pictures:
- On Instagram please tag me with @teresadownunder and hashtag #teresadownunder
- Join my Facebook group and post your pictures there
This post has affiliate links.