Storm at sea is a very popular quilt block. It looks more difficult than it really is.
There are different ways to make this block. The video demonstrates 2 of the methods I’ve used to make the same block in two different sizes.
Do you think you’ll give it a go?
How to make a storm at sea quilt block in 2 sizes
Download the templates
6″ x 6″ block
You can download the templates for the 6″ x 6″ block for free:
The templates include traditional pieces as well as and foundation piecing pieces.
9 1/2″ x 9 1/2″ block
- Purchase the foundation paper piecing templates – 9 1/2″ x 9 1/2″
Storm at sea quilt pattern
Would you like to make a quilt with this block?
- Purchase Storm at sea quilt pattern – it includes the 9 1/2″ x 9 1/2″ block templates
My book Turnabout Patchwork
“Turnabout Patchwork. Simple quilts with a twist” is all about playing with blocks – making a block, slicing it up, and turning or repositioning the pieces to make a completely different block (sometimes two smaller blocks) to yield endless quilt tops.
- Order Turnabout Patchwork on Amazon
- Order Turnabout Patchwork directly from Martingale (e-book only)
See all the quilts in the book in a real life project
Do you wish to receive my tutorials in your inbox?
- Look for the FOLLOW button in my blog
- Subscribe to my Youtube channel
Share your work!
If you make any of my tutorials this is how you can share your pictures:
- On Instagram please tag me with @teresadownunder and hashtag #teresadownunder
- Join my Facebook group and post your pictures there