There are many ways to do quilt-as-you-go or QAYG. I use this technique to quilt each block individually and then attach them using sashing. This technique uses exclusively machine sewing.
How to Quilt as you go (QAYG)
The finished sashing width for this project is 2 inches but it can be adjusted to a wider or narrower sashing. Learn the technique in 3 minutes:
For the block sandwich
- A piece of backing fabric the same size as the block (I used half square triangles for some blocks to make a star)
- A piece of batting 1 inch larger than the block
- One finished block
For the sashing
- 1 strip of sashing fabric 4 1/2 inch x the length of the block side
- One strip of batting 1 1/2 inch x the length of the block side (you can add a bit more for good measure)
- One strip of sashing fabric 2 1/2 inch x the length of the block side
There is another QAYG technique that I’ve used in my Dear Jane quilt for instance that uses a narrower sashing that’s sewn by hand on the back.
Would you like to make the quilt on the video? Get the Disappearing pinwheel sampler tutorial. It’s free.