Today we start our Colour Fair Down Under quilt along officially.
And we start with on of my favourite blocks: an 8-pointed rainbow star. Did you guess?
The star is made with half square triangles and it’s quick and easy to make.
Get the cutting instructions and other directions on page 5 of the pattern.
Note: A fellow quilter very kindly spotted some details missing from the pattern on page 9. As it turns out the information was hidden behind the graphics and I didn’t realise before I uploaded the pattern to Etsy.
Point 7 and 8 are missing towards the end of the page after the illustration labelled “Top border” and “Bottom border” and before the border assembly illustration.
The missing text should read:
“7. Cut the first top and bottom border in pink measuring 1 ½” x 60 ½”. And then the second border in pistachio measuring 2 ½” x 60 ½ .
8. Sew the 3 pieces together.“
Or you can download the updated pattern on Etsy. Once you’ve purchased it you don’t have any download limits.
So let’s do today’s block!
At this point you have to make a decision. Are you going to make your half square triangles in twos or in bulk.
On page 4 of the pattern you’ll get cutting directions on how to make half square triangles in bulk for the whole quilt at once.
This technique speeds up making blocks considerably. Check it out:
Assembling the blocks
The main things to bear in mind when assembling your blocks are:
- Chain piece to speed up the process
- When chain piece pay special attention to the seam intersections so they remain flat
- Press towards the darker fabric. Press and lift, press and lift so that the pieces don’t stretch
- To get perfect points pay attention to where the seams meet when sewing the patches together
- Use swirling seams to avoid bulky seams
This video demonstrates the above points:
This other video shows how to do swirling seams on a nine patch block:
Trimming Half Square Triangles
This lesson is very relevant to this block.
Try both and pick your favourite method.
You have until 13 November to make the 6 star blocks. On 13 November we’ll learn to make a Diamond block.
How to join the Colour Fair Down Under Quilt Along?
To be part of the quilt along:
- Subscribe to this blog for free via email to receive all the posts with information about the blocks, tips and tricks.
- Purchase the pattern.
Have a close look at the project with this promo video:
We will start making blocks on Saturday 30 October 2021 and finish them by Christmas.
Then we’ll resume on 8 January 2022 and make the borders.
And finally we’ll finish the quilt with QAYG and be ready to show your finished quilts at the end of January.
22 October – QAL fabric inspiration (bonus video)
23 October – How to trim half square triangles (bonus video)
30 October – 8-pointed star block (bonus video)
- 13 November – Diamond block (bonus video)
- 27 November – Cross block (bonus video)
- 4 December – Whirlpool block (bonus video)
We’ll break for Christmas from 5 December to 7 January. This will allow you to catch up with any sewing you may have missed.
- 7 January – Top and bottom borders
- 22 January – Quilt-as-you-go (bonus video)
- 29 January – Binding
Share your progress
Let’s share our blocks to encourage each other: