Garden fence is a simple quilt very easy to make. Check the different variations at the end of the video using different fabrics.
As a Michael Miller brand Ambassador for 2020 I made Colour chart, a very simple quilt using just 2 of their 2 1/2″ pre-cut strips with Michael Miller’s beautiful Marble collection jelly rolls and Cotton couture white jelly rolls.
Colour chart quilt
Directions to make the quilt
Quilt size: 48″ x 61″.
- 25 Marble precut 2 1/2″ strips
- 31 Cotton couture precut 2 1/2″ strips for the horizontal and vertical sashing and border
Cut the 31 strips into 1 1/4″ strips.
You will need 13 strips divided into 25 strips for the horizontal sashing.
The rest of the strips will be used in the vertical sashing and border.
Follow the video for assembly instructions.
The vertical sashing calls for 1 1/4″ x 57″ strips. Sew 2 strips together and cut to size once joined to the next strip.
Use the Colour chart colouring page (PDF) to plan the distribution of colour into a pleasing pattern. Check out the video for suggestions.
Credit: Hyacinth quilt designs
Hole in the wall quilt pattern
If you would like to make a full quilt with a similar block, check out Hole in the wall.
My book Turnabout Patchwork
“Turnabout Patchwork. Simple quilts with a twist” is all about playing with blocks – making a block, slicing it up, and turning or repositioning the pieces to make a completely different block (sometimes two smaller blocks) to yield endless quilt tops.
- Order Turnabout Patchwork on Amazon
- Order Turnabout Patchwork directly from Martingale
See all the quilts in the book in a real life project
Do you wish to receive my tutorials in your inbox?
- Look for the FOLLOW button in my blog
- Subscribe to my Youtube channel
Share your work!
If you make any of my tutorials this is how you can share your pictures:
- On Instagram please tag me with @teresadownunder and hashtag #teresadownunder
- Join my Facebook group and post your pictures there