This block has so much potential that I have made it before, twice with different colour schemes.
- Ten 10″ x 1 1/2″ strips in assorted prints or colours
- One 10 inch square piece of coordinated fabric
This tutorial makes 4 HSTs which, arranged in different ways, make different blocks. Each block can make one or more quilt layouts.
For the tutorial I used Michael Miller’s collection Strata and matching Cotton Couture solids from the new solid collection colours.
I hadn’t used Cotton Couture until now, but I quite like the fabric, it’s silkier than other brands of solids I’ve used in the past. And it has a huge range of colours to choose from.
- Strata Currant Landslide
- Strata Currant Rag Rug
- Cotton Couture Currant
- Cotton Couture Aubergine
- Cotton Couture Dusty Rose
- Cotton Couture Antique
Each block has 4 pieces and you can put them together in endless ways.
So how did I make this block?
Have a look at a different colour scheme for the same block.
Possible quilt layouts
Flying geese plus quilt
White diamonds quilt
White diamonds and crosses quilt
Medallion quilt inverted
My book Turnabout Patchwork
“Turnabout Patchwork. Simple quilts with a twist” is all about playing with blocks – making a block, slicing it up, and turning or repositioning the pieces to make a completely different block (sometimes two smaller blocks) to yield endless quilt tops.
- Order Turnabout Patchwork on Amazon
- Order Turnabout Patchwork directly from Martingale (e-book only)
See all the quilts in the book in a real life project
Do you wish to receive my tutorials in your inbox?
- Look for the FOLLOW button in my blog
- Subscribe to my Youtube channel
Share your work!
If you make any of my tutorials this is how you can share your pictures:
- On Instagram please tag me with @teresadownunder and hashtag #teresadownunder
- Join my Facebook group and post your pictures there