This week it’s time to make Block 2 of Colour Fair quilt along and we’re making a Diamond quilt block.
Get the cutting instructions and other directions on page 6 of the pattern.
After you make this block you’ll have 4 spare half square triangles.
Let’s get to it!
Assembling the blocks
The main things to bear in mind when assembling your blocks are:
- Chain piece to speed up the process
- When chain piece pay special attention to the seam intersections so they remain flat
- Press towards the darker fabric. Press and lift, press and lift so that the pieces don’t stretch
- To get perfect points pay attention to where the seams meet when sewing the patches together
- Use swirling seams to avoid bulky seams
This video demonstrates the above points:
This other video shows how to do swirling seams on a nine patch block:
Trimming Half Square Triangles
This lesson is very relevant to this block.
Try both and pick your favourite method.
How to join the Colour Fair Down Under Quilt Along?
To be part of the quilt along:
- Subscribe to this blog for free via email to receive all the posts with information about the blocks, tips and tricks.
- Purchase the pattern.
Have a close look at the project with this promo video:
We will start making blocks on Saturday 30 October 2021 and finish them by Christmas.
Then we’ll resume on 8 January 2022 and make the borders.
And finally we’ll finish the quilt with QAYG and be ready to show your finished quilts at the end of January.
22 October – QAL fabric inspiration (bonus video)
23 October – How to trim half square triangles (bonus video)
30 October – 8-pointed star block (bonus video)
- 13 November – Diamond block (bonus video)
- 27 November – Cross block (bonus video)
- 4 December – Whirlpool block (bonus video)
We’ll break for Christmas from 5 December to 7 January. This will allow you to catch up with any sewing you may have missed.
- 7 January – Top and bottom borders
- 22 January – Quilt-as-you-go (bonus video)
- 29 January – Binding
Share your progress
Let’s share our blocks to encourage each other:
- On Instagram please tag me with @teresadownunder and hashtag #colourfairdownunderqal
- Join my Facebook group and post your pictures there
- You can also show your pictures on my QAL Event page on Facebook
Do you enjoy my videos?
If you’re a fan of my videos and can’t get enough of them, I’ve got great news for you. By supporting me on Patreon, you’ll gain exclusive access to even more of my captivating content. Patreon allows me to continue creating high-quality videos and tutorials, sharing my passion for quilting with you and the world.
Stay connected and share your quilting journey!
Subscribe to my blog for tutorials in your inbox, and follow me on YouTube for even more quilting inspiration.
Share your quilt creations on Instagram with @teresadownunder and #teresadownunder, or join my Facebook group and Facebook page.
My book and other publications
Check out my book “Turnabout Patchwork” for endless quilt top possibilities.
My book is now available as individual chapter downloads in a 4 quilt pattern bundles.
See all the quilts in the book in a real life project
This post has affiliate links.