With this tutorial you will learn to make an hourglass block and how to use it on a quilt design.
How to make an hourglass block
Learn in just over 2 of minutes to make 2 hourglass blocks at once:
Did you like this tutorial? If you want to be notified every time I upload a video subscribe to my YouTube channel. Enjoy!
6 1/2 inch square.
For 2 hourglass blocks:
- two 7 1/2 inch squares in contrasting fabrics.
On this video I made 3 sets of hourglass blocks in different colours:
Broken chess board quilt
This quilt can be made using solids or prints. I quite like the modern look when using solids.
- 92 hourglass blocks in charcoal
- 3 hourglass blocks in turquoise
- 1 hourglass block in red
Finished quilt top size: 48 inch wide x 60 inch long
- 46 x 7 1/2 inch squares of charcoal fabric.
- 49 x 7 1/2 inch squares of white or cream fabric .
- One 7 1/2 inch square in red fabric
- Two 7 1/2 inch square of turquoise fabric
Time to put the quilt together!
Free motion quilting
I finish my quilts with free motion. It’s quick and easy once you get the hang of it.
If you wish to try, here’s how you do it:
Binding the quilt
This is how I finish my quilts: binding them by machine. It’s a lot easier and faster.
Flange or faux piping binding
Did you like the special binding I used?
This is how you make it: